Steamboat Ski Town in Colorado is famous for its authentic Western atmosphere and down-home friendly locals.
Steamboat resort is situated at 2,100m elevation with the summit reaching to 3,221m, and with six peaks and almost 3,000 skiable acres, it is one of North America’s biggest ski mountains offering bumps steeps, meadows, tree skiing, and four terrain parks.
More Things to Do at Steamboat
Steamboat is known for great snow and skiing with groomed cross country trails that meander through beautiful aspens and along Fish creek. Guided backcountry tours are also available to take you through pristine nature at its best, while heart pounding excitement can be enjoyed at their terrain parks.
Along with all that, there plenty of other things to do, too.
- Helicopter Tours: If you’d like to see the Steamboat area, a helicopter tour offers a scenic bird’s eye view of the Yampa Valley.
- Hot Air Balloon Tours: For a more peaceful option, hot air balloon tours provide a chance to see the Yampa Valley and Steamboat Ski Resort from the air as you quietly drift over them. These tours are available when the weather cooperates.
- Hot Springs: Enjoy the warm therapeutic waters of Strawberry Park Hot Springs where the temperatures range from 101 to 105 degrees Fahrenheit. The springs are just 10 miles north of town and the perfect solution for soothing sore muscles.
- Snowshoeing: Snowshoeing is another way to get plenty of exercise and enjoy the outdoors. Rent a pair from the Steamboat Information Centre at the base of the mountain. (They are free with a lift ticket). Guided tours depart every day at 1:00 p.m.
- Horseback Riding: If you’d like to enjoy the backcountry but aren’t ready to ski it, you can enjoy it from horseback as sure-footed horses carry you through snow covered valleys and thread through the aspens.
After a day on the slopes, for those looking for some evening fun, it can be found in Old Town Steamboat, just a 10 min. drive away and assessable via the complementary shuttle.
The resort offers a direct flight program which makes it easier than ever to get there. Check their website for more information.
Photo credits: Steamboat Ski & Resort Corporation