If you compare laptops vs. tablets when traveling, there isn’t a cut and dried answer for which is the best. It depends on what you hope to accomplish. If you’re traveling on vacation, the lightweight and portable size of the tablet has its advantages, but when traveling on business, is a laptop the better choice?
Advantages of Laptops vs. Tablet
To determine which device to pack for your trip, consider the advantages each offer.
- Physical keyboard: If you plan on doing a lot of typing, the full, physical keyboard available on laptops is often a preferred advantage. While tablets offer touchscreen keyboard options, they don’t work quite the same way. For instance, you can’t rest your fingers on the keys while you think about what to write.
- Larger screens: Laptops generally have a larger screen and higher resolution; great for viewing photos and browsing.
- Processing power: Laptops have more processing power than a tablet.
- More durable: Laptop durability is another advantage to think about when traveling. Tablets are durable, but special precautions need to be taken to protect the touchscreen. If the touchscreen is damaged, the tablet is useless.
- Portability: Tablets weigh less than laptops, and their smaller size makes them less cumbersome to carry. Laptops weigh between 3-9 pounds, while tablets weigh less than one pound.
- Smaller size: Along with the lighter weight comes the smaller 7- to 10-inch screens displays. These are easier to use in confined spaces like on a plane or as a passenger in the car.
- Built-in eReader: The tablet allows you to bring as many books along for the trip as you want, without lugging all the extra weight.
- Touchscreen: Touchscreen technology eliminates the need for a mouse.
- Takes pictures: A tablet can capture photos and videos, too; a fun option when traveling.
While both laptops and tablets have positive points, another factor that may help you make up your mind is cost. Tablets still tend to be overpriced and more expensive than laptops. If you’re in the market for a new device to carry while traveling, it pays to do your research, watch sales, and read reviews.