Berlin is a city rich with history. If you’re planning a visit, you may be surprised that popular things to do in Berlin include more than museums. You’ll also find opportunities to bike, enjoy the symphony, go to the zoo, stroll through Charlottenburg gardens, or visit the planetarium.
Things to Do In Berlin
- DDR Museum: This museum offers an interactive look at how millions of people lived in the German Democratic Republic. This hands-on museum not only covers the crimes of the State Security or border defenses at the Berlin Wall, it also highlights everyday life as a socialist state.
- Checkpoint Charlie Border Crossing (Mauer Museum): While in Berlin, you don’t want to miss where the East met the West during the Cold War era. Displays include the Charta 77 typewriter, the hectograph of the illegal periodical Umweltblätter, and Mahatma Gandhi’s sandals and diary.
- Jewish Museum Berlin: A museum dedicated to the history and life of German Jews.
- Tiergarten: Tiergarten (animal garden) offers a break from the busy streets of Berlin. Think of it as the Central Park of Berlin. The garden’s 630 acres features meadows, trees, lakes, and wildlife. Admission to the Tiergarten if free and while you’re there, you can visit two different biergartens.
- Berlin Zoo: The Berlin Zoo houses more than 14,000 animals in the Southwestern section of Tiergarten.
Benefits of Using a Berlin Pass
No matter what’s on your list of things to do in Berlin, a Berlin Pass can help you accomplish what you want to do for less. The Berlin Pass is a sightseeing package that provides free entry to more than 45 museums, art galleries, and an additional 10 attractions including the Berliner Dom. As an added bonus, the pass lets you travel on public transportation in Berlin (zones ABC) at no charge.
If you’ve never been to Berlin, this is a great way to get around and see a wide range of what Berlin has to offer and save money at the same time. For those still trying to figure out which sites they want to see, the Berlin Pass comes with a free Guidebook with more than 90 pages of possibilities.