If you’re on a budget and trying to plan some time away, an all-inclusive vacation allows you to pay for everything up front and save some money in the process. But before you make that choice, it’s important to know what all-inclusive means.
What All-inclusive Means
While each vacation package will offer specific amenities, most often here’s what you can expect an all-inclusive vacation package:
- Accommodations: This covers the hotel or resort where you’ll stay and should also cover the hotel taxes.
- Meals: All-inclusive vacations include meals. Exactly how many meals will depend on the specifics. Some cover only two meals, while others cover three meals and other perks like room service.
- Activities and entertainment: Activities and entertainment options will differ depending on where you’re going, but this is one benefit of an all-inclusive vacation that can help you save money while you enjoy a variety of things to do. Some family packages offer special activities for children, as well. However, it is not unusual for golf greens fees, spa services, and other such amenities to be listed as extras for which there is a charge.
- Gratuities: Tipping can really add up on vacation, but with an all-inclusive vacation package, all the tips and gratuities are included in the money you pay up front.
Items that May or May Not Be Included
- Beverages: This is one item that varies widely. Some packages include non-alcoholic beverages but no alcohol. Premium packages usually cover both without limit, while less expensive packages may limit the number of drinks covered.
- Extras: Some services and activities are considered “extras.” So if you want to take advantage of spa services, go scuba diving, or play golf, check to see if they are included or extra.
The Meaning of All-inclusive Varies
While all-inclusive vacation packages are a great way to save money, restrictions may apply. What packages include varies from one resort to another, so if a particular activity or service is important to you, be sure to ask about it.
If you do your research ahead of time, you can tailor your vacation to meet your heart’s desire and save money at the same time.